A chemical peel is a procedure in which a chemical solution is applied to the skin to remove the top layers. Depending on the strength of the peel, you may need to undergo the procedure more than once to get the desired results.
Chemical peels can reduce skin damage, giving the skin a more youthful or unblemished appearance.
Chemical peels can be done on the face, neck, or hands. They can be used to:
- Reduce fine lines under the eyes and around the mouth
- Treat wrinkles caused by sun damage and aging
- Improve the appearance of mild scars
- Treat certain types of acne
- Reduce age spots, freckles, and dark patches (melasma) due to pregnancy or taking birth control pills
- Improve the look and feel of skin
Areas of sun damage may improve after chemical peeling.